The Province provides social welfare services to people in need of securing a basic livelihood, empowers women and protects seniors' rights as well as hosts social events for seniors. In addition, it is developing productive welfare foundations to meet various welfare demands pursuing a "Joyful Welfare Society".
Securing Basic Livelihood
- Recipients: 177,780 people
- General recipients(108,699), people in Special Institutes(7,092), Special Recipients (1,989)
- Grants : living expenses, housing expenses, childbirth expenses, education funds, funeral and medical services.
Social Welfare Facilities : 5,630 people are living at 95 facilities
Senior Population : 419 thousand people (15.7% of total provincial population) - as of September 30
Welfare Facilities for Seniors: 301
- 25 Nursing Homes, 275 Recuperation facilities, 1 Houses for Seniors
- The best model province of Korean "filial piety"
- The best quality of living for seniors.
- Medical services and leisure activities, as well as job openings for people in need.
Number of Challenged People : 111,179 people (as of March 31, 2005)
Formation of a Basis for Independence for the Disabled
- Promotion of the 5 Year Plan for the Installation of Convenience Facilities for the Disabled (2010 ~ 2014)
- Expansion of Operation of Integrated Welfare Centers for the Disabled (11 in operation, 1 under construction)
- Job assistance such as skill training for the disabled and the hosting of job fairs etc. (2011.10)
※Hosting of the Do total arts festival for the disabled (2011.5)
Development of Female Talent and Expansion of Female Social Participation
- Increase of female members on various committees: 36.8%
(as of the end of December, 2010)
- Expansion of women’s meeting halls: 20 (19 in operation, 1 under construction)
- Training of next generation female leaders
- Provision of customized service for various childcare demands etc.
※ First in the country to foundㆍoperate Do operated women’s policy development center (December, 1997)
※ Gyeongsangbuk-do opened "Gyeongbuk Women's Policy Development Institute" for the first time in Korea (Dec. 1997)