- 투자유치(영문) 메인>Information service>News
- 투자유치(영문) 메인>Information service>News
Gyeongsangbuk-do signs MOU with PNT 상세내용
- Gyeongsangbuk-do signs MOU with PNT
- 등록일2020-02-17 15:31:39
◦ Gyeongsangbuk-do and Gumi-si announced on the 6th of January that PNT signed an investment memorandum of erstanding (MOU), which would bring in KRW 75 billion of inward investment and create 80 new jobs in the province. The MOU was signed in the presence of Governor Lee Cheolwoo of Gyeongsangbuk-do, Mayor Jang Seyong of Gumi-si, CEO Jun-sup Kim of PNT, Vice Chairman Kim Bong-gyo Kim and Gyeongbuk Provincial Council member Kim Deukhwan.
◦ er the MOU, PNT will construct a plant (72,976 ㎡) on a 106,038-㎡ site within the 4th Gumi National Industrial Complex for manufacturing secondary-cell production equipment from 2020 to 2022.
◦ The investment aims to manufacture coaters, presses, and slitters through a roll-to-roll method for mid- to large-sized equipment producing anodes, cathodes, and separators, which are the core parts of both small (IT devices) and large (EVs and energy storage systems) secondary cells.
◦ The investment also aims to expand the production line for secondary batteries and semiconductors, which will be exported to Europe, for the increased demand for eco-friendly EVs to reduce carbon dioxide in Europe.
◦ According to a source of PNT, roll-to-roll facilities, which add new s to films, copper foil, and other thin materials by ing, coating, or applying different materials to them while they are wo on a rotating roll, are widely used in processing optical films and secondary-cell materials.
◦ The facilities have high–value-added equipment that can significantly increase productivity through the ability to adjust tension, maintain the level of precision, and transfer materials at high speeds, compared to the conventional sheet-by-sheet processes.
◦ Foed in 2003, PNT holds the highest share of the domestic secondary battery roll-to-roll facility market. It currently records KRW 256.7 billion in sales and was listed on the Korean Securities Dealers Automated Quotations (KOSDAQ) in 2012. Moreover, in 2017, PNT was also selected as a “World Class 300” company. The company has become a rare semiconductor equipment exporter in a region with an average growth rate of more than in sales from 2012 to 2018.
◦ Demands for roll-to-roll secondary-battery facilities are expected to continuously grow because of the rising demand for EVs aro the world led by China, the continued development of the eco-friendly renewable energy market, and the growth of the energy storage system (ESS) industry.
◦ Meanwhile, Gyeongbuk had attracted large enterprises, which produce anodes and cathodes (core materials for secondary cells), into the province. In 2018, ECOPRO BM was brought into Pohang, along with POSCO Chemical in 2019, and LG Chemical into Gumi in 2019 as well. As a result, Gyeongbuk is expected to become a hub for producing secondary-battery core materials.
◦ Mayor Seyong Jang of Gumi-si said, “We are grateful to PNT for investing in the roll-to-roll facility business that will be applied to future advanced technologies despite the global economic downturn and other negative factors. We will render full administrative and financial support to make this year the turning point for Gumi to attract more enterprises into the city, utilizing the leverage of PNT’s investment.”
◦ Governor Cheolwoo Lee of Gyeongbuk thanked PNT for investing in the manufacturing of secondary-battery and semiconductor equipment, a high– value-added industry, for the first time in the new year despite the difficult economic conditions. He expressed hope that the investment would continue to flourish in 2020 and that investors in Gyeongbuk would become more prosperous, creating more quality jobs in the province.